Monday 19 March 2012

EPJ Website Critique


I chose to critique the website of legendary National Geographic photographer, Lincoln’s own, Joel Sartore.

            Joel was an obvious choice for me because I had the good fortune of meeting him a little over a week ago during a trip to Nebraska where I was observing the migration of the sandhill crane.

            It was quite the experience to talk to Joel and see him home operation so I rushed to my iPhone and loaded his website up in Safari as soon as we left his house. I hadn’t visited his site in a little while and I was surprised to find out that there wasn’t any new content yet, and noticed that the copyright on the site was still 2011. Then again, Joel is probably one of the busiest people on Earth.

            The site is extremely easy to navigate and well put together. Back when we were first using Dreamweaver I used his idea of putting the Telephone (I used P for phone instead) and Email links at the bottom right on the page. I liked that he had a search bar, I think that is something that would be very handy for someone like Joel that has a huge amount of photos on their site.

            I liked that the navigation link to the videos directed you to a page with video thumbnails. It was nice that it didn’t force you to leave to site and take you to either Vimeo or YouTube.

            The site is really good as a whole; really easy to use and packed full of amazing photos. There are some elements that I wouldn’t necessarily want for my own site. I think the navigation for the photos works great for his site because of the amount of content he had online, but it probably wouldn’t work for a site like mine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment